Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Portulacas Love Chacala, and Vice-Versa

One of my favorite things about gardening in Chacala is that I can grow succulents year-round here. Some of them go semi-dormant during the rainy season. Like my favorite, Adenium Obesum. But they live thru the rain and start blossoming as soon as it stops.I have always loved Portulacas, ever since the very first time I saw one. In one of the greenhouses at Manito Park, in Spokane WA. I love to able to grow them year around here in Chacala. Or, maybe I should say, I love it that I get to admire Portulacas growing year-around in Chacala. That's because I have almost nothing to do with how well they grow here.Local ladies come by for pieces, cuttings, of the plant all the time. If they see a new color blossom, it's time for a new cutting. I love it. It's so nice to have something to share. And they just stick the pieces in a pot and ingnore them. They almost aways take.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Okay, you've convinced me-I am moving to Chacala lol! I have been following your blog for quite a long time now and it is beautiful! The picture from the market of all of the flowers is stunning, as are all of your photos. It looks to be a wonderful, warm place. I really enjoy reading about gardening there. Thank you very much for the entertainment and wonderful pictures.