Friday, September 28, 2007

Buds in Chacala

It's Friday morning here in Chacala, and it's a very strange day, weatherwise. I just checked the hurricane warning site, but nothing is going on out there. But that's it's hard to believe. It's very, very windy and thick dark clouds are everywhere in the sky. I think it will start raining in aminute. Which rarely during the day in Chacala.I was sitting here at my computer, and all of a sudden the windows on the east side of the room slammed closed. The wind coming in from the ocean side did it. I ran out on the to patio because I had just hung out some wet launry. I double pinned some of it and brought my shirts on hangers inside, to hang in the bathroom. It's been windy like that for about 40 minutes. At least it's not hot and humid for the moment. Changes, changes, changes. I like it.Earlier I went down to the garden, thinking I would practice taking more "macro", bud, photos. I think I am starting to get the hang of it, but my photos still don't look anything like some of the spectacular shots I see on the garden blogs at "Garden Voices".I took this shot of these yellow buds yesterday, by the side of the road at the edge of Chacala. The vegetation had been sprayed there, and I think that's was caused the spots. Up until now men with machetes cleared the vegetation around Chacala at the start and end of the rainy season.

But my guess it that some "elected" government official got a spraying contract for his brother-in-law. Possibly an incompetent, non-reading, non-trained, and unable to find other work person is now out there spraying god-knows-what-where ever. Spraying without gloves, a mask, and eating his lunch without washing his hands. Probably a short-lived phenomena. Oh well. I am so happy to see the Desert Roses coming back to life. I donn't think I realized how hard the hot, humid summer was for them, until they started putting out new growth and blossoms a week or so ago.
I always get confused about this plant. I keep thinking they are gladious, but they are plananititos, from the banana family, I guess. I know I still have so much to learn. This plant puts out new blossoms about every fifth day. The previous five or six blossoms were yellow/orange, but this one seems pale. Maybe my landlady's esposo peed on it. That would probably kill it though. Whatever.

2 comments:

kman said...

Your's has to be the most beautiful tropical blog I've seen yet!

Can't wait to take some time to look at and read your previous posts.

Sue Swift said...

Hi – this is an invitation to join the Garden Bloggers Retro carnival. I don’t know if you’ve ever come across the concept of a Blog carnival – if not I’ve explained it in detail on my site today (Oct 1). But basically the idea is to revive an old post which you think is worth rereading, or which you think new readers might enjoy. Send me the link to the post, and in November I’ll publish a series of posts describing and linking to all the posts people have nominated.
I hope you’ll join in and we have a fun carnival!
Sue