Wednesday, September 26, 2007

After the Equinox, in Chacala

I just re-discovered this photo from my trip to San Miguel de Allende a year ago.
I couldn't resist posting it. SMA is very very lovely, building and plant-wise anyway.

I think the weather in Chacala is changing a little this week. I am sleeping with a sheet the last few nights. And with the fan turned down to low. I guess that's a sign we are nearing the end of hot-himid-hot-humid-hot-humid and moving toward pleasantly-warm-and-breezy. that's ny plan anyway. We'll see.
I think the plants are sensing a change too. My Rose of the Desert (Adenium Obesum) plant havn't blossoned for months, but there are baby blossoms on all six plants right now. And new leaves.
Today I was looking at my photos from last May and June, and I realized quite a few of my succulents are gone. I went out and looked around, and I don't see any withered rotting plant remains. Which makes me think someone felt they needed them more that I do. Which is probably true, since I just noticed they are missing. Of course, it's s slightly weedy jungle out there, and I wasn't looking very closely.

On the other hand, many people have told me succulents don't like the summer weather here. The plants I kept in pots, and sort of out of the nightly rainstorms seem to have done okay.
This Gardenia plant is covered with blossoms, bu then it never really stopped producing all summer. The old Gardenia plant, about five feet away, hasn't blossomed in months. But the somewhat impaired husband-of-my-landlady may have sprayed it. Every once in a while I find him wandering around with a sprayer, spraying god-knows-what god-knows-where in the yard. It's scary for me. Sometimes I hope a local bandito will disappear the sprayer.

This Ixora also blooms all year. I love the young blossoms. They look sort of pretend. I have about six started in buckets. They look okay. But after my helpful whatever ripped the best new Hibsicus babies out of their buckets the other day, I am nervous about what he will do next.

I got home from errands around town this morning and my neighbor waved me over and said pointed over to my place. She said "He's got is machete out, I don't know what he's doing". But he wandered off with the machete as I arrived. And I didn't see any signs of machete madness around my plants. Not this time anyway.I can't remember what this plant is called, but I know it's a houseplant in Zone 5. Here they have to hack it back with a machete once or twice a year. The giant is climbing up my neighobr tree.
An hour later: I just went out to re-shot a couple of baby-blossom shots and found a few plants I thought were gone were juse buried in the jungle. So I ended up weeding alittle. And re-discoving some sweet little plants. But the little pink and white fringed sweetie is the only plant of seven that were growing there in June. Darn!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We call the varigated vine "Golden Pothos". I've heard it called Devil's Ivy as well.

I planted a cutting in the back yard 5 years ago and it has gone crazy. The more sun it gets, the bigger the leaves get.

I have to laugh at your stories about your landladies husband! He sounds like quite the character.