Saturday, August 05, 2006

Buckets and Plant Ladies in Chacala

When I went to the tianguis (street market) a few days ago, I bought a couple more 10 peso plastic, 4 gallon, buckets to use as plant pots. Somehow, I again left one of the two buckets sitting on the ground in front of the plant booth when I walked off to catch the collectivo back to Chacala.

When I got home I realized what I had done, and kicked myself for a minute. Then I remembered it was only 90 cents and not worth kicking myself over. Later that afternoon I was taking a siesta and I heard someone calling me by name, from the front porch. I was too sleepy to get up, but then Chiquita started bouncing off the walls, barking and yipping, so I got up to see what was going on.

It was the lady from the plant booth, who had brought my lost bucket home. I was so amazed and happy. What a nice thing. It turned out she was visiting Maria, and Maria told her where I live. I would have loved to hear how they described me to each other. Or maybe I wouldn't.

I gave her a little mini-tour of my mini-garden on the veranda. She liked one plant alot, and since I had two I gave her one, and also a bunch of small pots. She was very happy, I think.

Anyway. That was pretty nice. I have also had strangers bring me my umbrella (left on the collectivo) and a book in English left God knows where. People are so thoughtful. Well, usually. Actually, almost all the time.

No comments: