Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Around Chacala, Flowers and Gardens

I started out this morning thinking I would tidy up my Chacala photo collection on the computer, and get rid of pictures I don't really like. And then take some photos of my little bitty garden, for a post for today. I am worried my laptop with get filled up with pictures. I don't know if that's possible, but it seems likely.

But deleting photos is hard to do, and I ended up saving a few and stashing them here, on this post.

This pink hibiscus is in Esparanza's beach garden, sort of. It blossoms alot, and they are very large blossoms. This state, Nayarit, and the next one, Jalisco (home of Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta) has a disease problem currently with Hisbiscus plants.

I can't remember the name of the disease, but there are service crews that come into a town and search out every hisbiscus plant they can find and inspect it, and possibly spray it. Then, theoretically they return later. And either okay the plant as clean, or destroy it. As far as I know they haven't come back to Chacala. I have the impression that plants growing in the ground don't tend to get the disease. But that could just be a rumor.
This is the guest palapa at Mirador, a small rental complex, six units. It overlooks the ocean directly below, and is surrounded by trees and flowering shrubs. Which are hard to see from this view.
Wild flowers, growing everywhere this time of year: Coral Vine and some kind of
Opoema/Morninglory, I think.
The view looking up to Mirador from the Malecon (walkway) along the oceanfront. Isreal, who owns Mirador with his wife Chata/Inez, is a professional gardener and this is one of his gardens. Its lovely year round, and always looking healthy and colorful. It's about 12 feet from the ocean.
This is my pet butterfly, sunbathing and snacking on one of the Bouganvilleas around the front patio. I call him/her Bogie, short for Bouganvillea.This is one of the little two-legged flowers of Chacala, with her pet (dead) Crocodile.
Vero's Rose Garden in front of her home is about thirty feet from the ocean. It's amazing how well they grow considering they get about two hours of sun a day, maximum.
Senna (Senna olligophylla) is blossoming all over the hills and roadsides right now, and probably for another month or two. Based on my reading, I have started some cuttings, just for fun. I was thinking of trying to keep them pruned into small, blossom-laden shrubs. Which sounds like an exercise in futility, but I am curious, yellow.

No comments: