Wednesday, July 19, 2006

My Gardener Prayers Are Answered

A bouganvillea on a walking street in Morelia
Today I had to go into Puerto Vallarta, via the bus, collectivo, and taxi, to do some errands. One of which was to find books, magazines, and newpapers in English. Usually I go by the airport for newspapers and some magazines, and then The Book Store, which carries new books in English, and then to La Pagina en el Sol which offers trading-in for paperbacks.

Today was the first day I went to the new, second location, of The Book Store, at Plaza Caracol. The first thing I saw when I walked in the book was a new book, a big format paperback entitled "Ornamental Plants and Flowers in Tropical Mexico" Written by Linda Abbott Trapp. Nice photos and succinct sections on each plant for use, flowers, cultivation, and propagation. 128 large pages with color photos on every page except the index. I haven't had a chance to carefully read each section, so I won't know for sure for awhile how how helpful the book will really be, but right now it looks wonderful.

I have been complaining about not having any local resources, and here is a very nice book, right in front of me. Luckily, today is the start of my financial month, and I had enough pesos, (285), about 25US dollars to buy it right then. I tried to read it on the bus on the way home, but got kind of sick to my stomach, and set it aside. I have been reading it while I am waiting for photos to load, and I love it.

I am so happy. I have a new book, and maybe a way to access some other gardeners here, with similar interests. I finally signed up on the PV Writer's Group website, so I will start seeing meeting notices, etc automatically. The woman that wrote the new book is a member, and maybe there are other gardeners there too.

It's very difficult for me to get to their meeting, at 10:30am Saturday morning. Even if I leave Chacala on the first collectivo of the day, at 6:30am, the one-hour time difference plus taking three or different buses, make it hard to get to PV before 11am. But maybe it would be worth the effort to try again.

No comments: