Saturday, January 20, 2007

Pomagranites, I Think, in Chacala

My next-door neighbor, Aurora, has a little pomagranite shrub. I spelled wrong, I am sure. It;'s next to her (storage room, laundry, etc) and she says it grew from seed.

She says it's a grenada, but I don't think that's right. But who knows.I considered cutting the fruit open, just because it could make a nice photo. and because I am curious how the fruit turned out.But it seems like that might be a waste, since I don't know how to tell when they are ripe.
When I was a kid in L.A. we used to steal pomagranites from a neighbor's front yard. It was huge and covered with many many fruit. We had wars with them. And we had avocado wars too. With fruit from a giant avocado tree across the street from our house. I don't remember anyone actually eating either fruit. But they are big favorites here. We were wasteful, aggressive little kids I guess.

3 comments:

LostRoses said...

No, you weren't wasteful and aggressive, you were kids! And didn't know that when you grew up avocados would go for a buck fifty at the grocery store!

Annie in Austin said...

Did you ever have a syrup made from pomegranate? It's used in drinks and is called Grenadine. Actually, there's a bottle in our refrigerator right now.

I just checked, and the botanical name is Punica granatum. Our tree is new last fall and is dormant now, but I can hope!

Years ago, one of my uncles had an avocado tree in the LA area. He later moved back to Chicago, and we thought the idea of an avocado tree was wonderful, but my uncle said it was a pain. Too many ripened at once, and then needed fast burying as they rotted. Bet your 'avocado wars' were pretty stinky!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Anonymous said...

Hello Andee. . .

“Granada” is the Spanish word for “pomegranate.”

Everyone is right about your plant. The other one with the red "sweet" seeds that looks like a cucumber is certainly a mystery.

Allan